New Hanover Community Endowment seeks an outstanding individual to join our team as Communication Director. This role is ideal for a seasoned communications professional to create communications strategies and implement tactics that further the Endowment’s organizational goals. It brings opportunity for development of various types of compelling content necessary for multi-channel outreach, brand management and stakeholder engagement that aligns with our mission to improve the health, education, safety, and economic opportunity for every person in New Hanover County. As a new organization, a start-up; we are looking for people that can thrive where there is no clear roadmap, who enjoys working on a high performing team, has a high interest in moving the needle and getting results, and is passionate about the idea and journey to transformational change.
The New Hanover Community Endowment's mission is to improve the health, education, safety, and economic opportunity of every person in the New Hanover County community. The Endowment seeks to identify and address the root challenges in these areas, aiming for long-lasting and deeply impactful solutions. Our strategic plan outlines measurable objectives, goals and desired impact the Endowment envisions for New Hanover County in the areas of social and health equity, education, community safety, and community development.
The Director of Communications is responsible for the planning, development, and implementation of New Hanover Community Endowment’s communications, both external and internal. This includes social media, email campaigns, printed materials, press strategy, and press releases, as well as maintaining information on our website and in a contact database. The Director of Communications ties all communications activity to New Hanover Community Endowment’s mission, vision, core values, commitment and organizational goals and keeps the big picture in focus. It is of the utmost importance that we maintain frequent, clear, and open communication with our local community.
Strategy, Planning & Management
• In collaboration with the President & CEO, department heads, and external consultants, develops a holistic strategy for communications, press, and public relations that serves the organizations and audience(s).
• Leverage existing relationships and cultivate new relationships with journalists, editorial boards, and other appropriate outlets to generate broader coverage of the Council’s mission, programs, and priorities.
• Model the Endowments’ commitment of diversity, equity and inclusion and lead efforts to embed this commitment in organizational systems and programs.
• Work closely with each area of the organization to develop content and an ongoing calendar of communications.
• Expand upon existing strategies for managing communications and public relations for a wide range of programs, events, and activities.
• Engage, cultivate, and manage press and media relationships to ensure coverage of the Council’s programming, public advocacy, organizational progress, and key partnerships by pitching stories, press release distribution, handling media inquiries, and other communication innovations.
• Develop talking points, FAQs, and other materials as needed to prepare President & CEO for external communications and speaking engagements.
• Generate an annual Communications Plan and a reporting process for reflecting on the status and accomplishments of that Plan.
• Plan, write, and edit content across social media, website, email communications, collateral materials and campaigns in collaboration with corresponding departments.
• Monitor social media activity and engagement.
• Contribute to the writing and editing of materials generated by the Program partners of the organization.
• Coordinate public relations and press strategy.
• Support grant proposal and report writing, as needed.
• Other organizational duties as assigned.
Required Experience & Qualifications:
Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required, preferred in the areas of communications, marketing, public relations, advertising, graphic design, journalism, or related fields. At least seven years of communications experience.
Other qualifications include:
• Applicants should be highly skilled writers and editors with a demonstrated passion for the power of strategic and equitable communications to influence and move people to action toward transformation in New Hanover County.
• The successful candidate for this position will be an especially creative, innovative, and resourceful person with strong common sense.
• They will be highly sensitive to the established tone, consistency, and design of New Hanover Community Endowment’s communications.
• Strategic and Entrepreneurial Mindset: Self-motivated and able to analyze, research, synthesize, take initiative, and execute strategies with a high degree of agility and independence.
• Experience in philanthropy and/or nonprofit sector preferred.
• Experience leading an organization’s communications functions.
• Excellent written communication skills, including experience preparing press releases, articles, marketing materials and presentations.
• Excellent verbal communication skills.
The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Candidates are encouraged to describe their skill set and experience considering the above qualifications.
Send résumé, statement of interest, and salary expectations to Human Resources via email, Careers@nhcendowment.org and include “Communications Director” in the subject line.
New Hanover Community Endowment welcomes applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and values having a diverse staff. Employment opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.